From September to 6th December 2016 GTR are consulting on their proposed timetable for 2018 when the work on rebuilding London Bridge is complete and the full Thameslink service will be introduced. East Surrey Transport Committee which represents local rail users criticized and continued to make representation about the 2015 timetable and some of the early proposals for 2018 in their view the service provided for Coulsdon is worse than that previously provided in 2014.
The main criticisms of the 2015 timetable at Coulsdon South were : The loss of local services to Reigate and Tonbridge; No additional peak hour services; the lack of off-peak service to Victoria and extended journey times to central London. At Coulsdon Town it was the reduction in the number of off-peak trains. The main criticism for 2018 timetable was that all trains serving both Coulsdon Stations would come from north of Blackfriars and any disruption north of Blackfriars would mean that the service to Coulsdon stations would be disrupted for several hours, while most other stations on the network would have an alternative service starting from central London.
We are pleased that GTR have addressed these issues in their latest proposals and there is an improvement to services to the Coulsdon area. At Coulsdon South there is an additional peak hour train, local services to Reigate and Tonbridge are restored and an all-day off-peak service to Victoria. There is a further option to improve evening and Sunday services to Victoria. The Tattenham Corner and Caterham lines will now remain Southern Metro services. As a result at Coulsdon Town the off-peak service will be restored to 4 trains per hour along with a faster evening and Sunday service.
These are the main proposal that GTR are asking you comment on :
|Coulsdon South Trains per hour (tph)|
|Peaks hours||Mon to Sat daytimes||Evenings||Sundays|
|4 to London Bridge
2 will continue to Bedford and 2 to Peterborough
|2 to London Bridge starting from Horsham and continuing to Peterborough||2 to London Bridge starting from Horsham and continuing to Peterborough||2 to London Bridge starting from Horsham and continuing to Peterborough|
|2 to Victoria||2 to Victoria Starting
Reigate or Tonbridge
|1or 2 to Victoria starting from Reigate or Tonbridge||1 or 2 to Victoria starting from Reigate or Tonbridge|
|Coulsdon Town Trains per hour (tph)|
|Peaks hours||Mon to Sat daytimes||Evenings||Sundays|
|4tph +||4tph||2 tph||2tph|
|2 to London Bridge
2 to Victoria
+ some West London line services
|2 to London Bridge semi-fast
2 to Victoria all stations via Norwood Junction and Crystal Palace starting at Coulsdon Town
|2 to London Bridge semi-fast||2 to London Bridge semi-fast|
|All joining with a Caterham portion at Purley||All London Bridge trains joining with a Caterham portion at Purley||All London Bridge trains joining with a Caterham portion at Purley||All London Bridge trains joining with a Caterham portion at Purley|
East Surrey Transport Committee is asking you to support these proposed changes and in particular are asking you to support the following changes :
Tattenham Corner line & Coulsdon Town
- Keeping The Caterham and Tattenham Corner lines as part of Southern Metro services and to use only 5 coach trains. This will prevent these lines suffering major disruption when there are problems north of London Bridge. Question 19 Answer : Yes
- Diverting the existing Victoria to Sutton via Crystal Palace and West Croydon off-peak service to Coulsdon Town. This will reinstate 4tph off-peak at Coulsdon Town and Reedham. It will also provide an all stations Victoria service. Question 58 Answer : Yes
Also see West London Line 7 below
- Increase the peak hour service from 5tph to 6 tph (4 London Bridge & 2 Victoria) with 4 tph in the off-peak 2tph to Clapham Junction and Victoria & 2tph to London Bridge, Blackfriars, St Pancras, Finsbury Park and Peterborough. Also to reintroduce direct Reigate and Tonbridge services.Questions 39 & 40 Answer : Yes
- An option to improve the evening and Sunday service from Victoria from 1tph to 2tph improving the service at Coulsdon South from 3tph to 4tph. Question 47 Answer : Support first options with trains to Reigate and Tonbridge (this makes the off-peak and Sunday service consistent all week).
West London Line
- The consultation asks if peak West London line trains should start or terminate at Selhurst, Purely or Coulsdon Town (as the 07.30 Coulsdon Town to Watford does now). We are asking you to support starting at Coulsdon Town Without the peak service at Coulsdon Town and Reedham the service would be reduced to 4tph. Question 63 Answer Coulsdon Town
- Other Comments on West London Line? We are asking for the present hourly off-peak service from East Croydon to Watford via Shepherd’s Bush to be increase to 2tph. Question 64 Answer : Increase the service to Watford to 2tph.
Are there any down side ?
- There are very few but a couple Coulsdon South would lose its Sunday Bognor service, but gain an extra train per hour.
- Tattenham Corner trains would be slightly slower as they will join and divide all day with Caterham trains at Purley, but the evening and Sunday services with be consistent and faster.
- There will be fewer stops at Norwood Junction.
You respond by emailing GTR at or by post to GTR 2018 timetable Consultation, Eastside Offices, King’s Cross station, London N1C 4AP or by filling in the questionnaire response form on the GTR web site using the guide above www.southernrailway.com/your-journey/timetable-consultation
If you require more information please email
Charles King Chair : East Surrey Transport Committee